Friday 13 December 2019

Batch processing/retouching scanned film with severe artifacts


An aunt asked me to scan some film for her (my best guess is they're 40+ years old), but my usual workflow has been challenged.



Some background:


I use Linux. And I have an Epson Perfection V350 Photo.


Normally, I open a VirtualBox with WinXP and run Epson's software for scanning; to take advantage of dust removal, color correction, and backlight correction features. Also, I'd normally scan just a few dozen pictures and take my time to fix them up (using Picasa for quick stuff or GIMP for more detailed work).


Turns out that these films were taken with a camera that shot at 4:3 aspect ratio; and my scanning software doesn't handle that well. Apparently it just assumes that 35mm film should be 3:2 ratio.


The other problem, is that I'm not quite skilled in image processing.


I'm looking at several hundred pictures; so it'd be nice to automate as much as possible. Note that I still have to crop manually, because most of my scans will be a raw GIMP image with 6 pictures in it.


Here's a sample image: Sample scan before and after AWB


The top part of the image is the raw result provided by my scanner. The one in the bottom has GIMP's AWB applied.


As you can see, I'm facing several problems:




  • Color correction.

  • Healing for:

    • Dust

    • Scratches

    • And other stains.




So my questions:




  1. Is there a better way to do batch automatic color correction? (other than GIMP's Color > Auto > White balance)

  2. Is there a tool to process dust+scratch+stains removal in batch?

  3. Can you identify any other steps I should take to better scan/heal these images?



Answer



I'm not sure your going to be able to find an automated tool to fix things like scratches and stains. Even if you do, you'll definitely want to check the scripts work. Photoshop's healing tool or even lightroom might be your best bet for repairing the image.


To get the images white balanced, you should check out: http://www.fmwconcepts.com/imagemagick/whitebalance/index.php Looks like he uses imagemagick to apply the auto white balance to images and you can do that with a script if your confortable.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...