Wednesday 18 December 2019

nikon - How is the cold resistance of entry level DSLRs?


Next month I am going to North of Sweden for 6 months. So I'm looking for a new SLR-camera to take photos there. I'm not a professional photographer so I decided to buy an entry level SLR camera - the Nikon D5100 or Canon EOS 600D. Since it can get very cold in Sweden (around -30 degrees) I'm looking for some information about the cold-resistance of these cameras (or other equivalent models you can recommend to me). Has anyone used these models at very low temperatures? How does the camera react at -10 to -30 degrees and does it work after all?



Answer



I live in Sweden and I own a Canon EOS 450D. So far I've never had any problems with it in temperatures down to -20 °C (apart from a somewhat reduced battery life).


I wouldn't really worry about your camera not working at sub zero. Every swede I know uses his/her camera in the winter (as well as their cell phones and other electric toys) and to the best of my knowledge the only thing that really stops working are touchscreens which become unbearably slow under -10/-15 °C.



The biggest problem if you really are serious about taking pictures at -30 is that you don't really want to take your gloves off so you should look for a camera where you can change as many settings as possible while wearing you thickest gloves.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...