Thursday 5 December 2019

night - How can I get correct focus on the moon or stars with my DSLR?




Possible Duplicate:

How to nail focus for DSLR astrophotography?



I don't know if D5100 is right camera for this kind of stuff, but I would like to shoot night sky covering moon, stars and if any clouds lit by moon light or dawning sun.
But when I attempt to snap the shutter, the cam tries to auto-focus, but it wont hit a focus point and hence it wont capture the image.
One (silly) thing I can try is, put something close in foreground, and get night sky in background. But since focus is on foreground, background is all blurred out and I can barely see the moon, forget about stars.
Any suggestions? I have 18-55 & 55-200 lenses, with VR.
I think it is auto-focus only. Is it?



Answer



I answered this sort of question fully before here.


The basics are that you need to use manual exposure mode on your camera and manual focussing on your lens.



Give it a read. It may sound like a lot of work, but it really isn't.


Good luck :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...