Tuesday 9 July 2019

How can I fix a Canon lens with sand in the aperture diaphragm?


I have a 17-85mm Canon lens which I was using at the beach the other day. A sudden hard blow of wind caused sand to be thrown on me and my camera. Afterwards, the camera would give the Error 01 code related to faulty camera communication. I figured out this would always happen if I used a smaller aperture than the widest one possible. So my conclusion is: the diaphragm is stuck due to sand intrusion and only works when no closure is required. I already bought a new one but would like to try and fix the old one as a backup. Does someone have a guide or experience which can be of help here?


Update


Actually my "new" lens also has an issue (it not actually brand new, it was first used by my parents and is outside warranty noz). The issue is that the focus gets stuck in certain ranges at the extremes of the zoom. When at 85mm (and a bit below), the focus works well in the entire range but it gets stuck at infinity once it got there. Same at the 17mm end, but there the focus gets stuck at lower focal ranges. In the middle it moves freely. When in manual focus it is also impossible to move the focus out of these ranges. You can feel some slight resistance on the focus ring when moving towards the middle zoom region. Any thoughts on this as well? I noticed there were focus problems before but never really bothered, so the problem has been around for a while but it is "workable" by realising the focus using the ~40mm part of the zoom.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...