Tuesday 23 July 2019

shutter speed - How "slow" can I take a picture at a boxing match?


I'm to take pictures at a boxing match, probably under low lights conditions.


My plan is to set the camera on a fixed shutter speed, and the let the camera automatically set aperture and ISO. But how slow can I safely take the pictures. I hope I can bring my tripod, so it's not as much a question of camera shake, more a question of catching the action.


My equipment is a canon EOS 500D and a Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens.



Answer



Any speed will give you something. It will render the photo differently.


So, the question should not be how slow can I take the photo? but how slow do I want to take the photo?


Some ideas:




  • If you want to freeze the sweat flying off the boxer's face when he takes a hit, I suggest 1/2000s or faster.

  • If you want to freeze the boxer's body and leave the hands blurry (to convey the action), then try around 1/500s.

  • If you go slower then 1/250 you will probably blur the entire boxer, at least by a bit.

  • You should be able to go down to 1/focal-length (or 2 stops lower with stabilization) to get convey the action while keeping the ring and background sharp.


You'll have to try a lot but you are right about using Shutter-speed priority. You may want to fix the ISO and let camera play the aperture if you do not want all your shots to be at F/4, since most cameras prefer opening the lens than raising the ISO when light is low.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...