Wednesday 24 July 2019

lens - What are hidden-gem "bang for the buck" lenses for Nikon?


I'm about to buy a D700 Nikon (no, NOT D800). I have no Nikon equipment at all. I'll initially be retaining my "main" Sony based system while I get the D700 'up to speed'. In time I expect to have to spend real money on lenses.


Initially I just want a lower cost lens or few to play with to explore the D700's capabilities. Applications are not too specific to start. I want a superior lens for a beer-budget price, not a kit lens. (One can always hope) .


Q: What relatively low cost lenses suited to a D700 are liable to represent very good value for money. Are there some undervalued classics that are cheap and superb?



Something excessively sharp [tm] for the money would be nice.


eg a Sony buyer might be pointed to the old Minolta "beercan" or "mini-beercan"


An entry level 50mm will probably happen soonish.


As an example this Nikkonians webpage seems to be addressing my question. Latest date is 2012 but it sounds like it may have been written a considerable while ago. He's talking about MF lenses, which may be acceptable for playing, and which will generally offer better value per optical ability. But I'd probably lean towards AF even for this purpose. IS / AS is a bonus that I don't really expect at this level.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...