Wednesday 31 July 2019

filters - Why does a linear polarizer work as well as a circular one on a P&S camera?


I have just purchased a Canon SX30 IS and though extremely happy with it I will need to use a polarizing filter due to the fact that I am travelling to Indonesia to do volcano photography/landscape and wildlife photography also. In the past I used to take my bulky Panasonic camera that was fitted with a circular polarizer and have had amazing success and great photos with it but had to sell it due to weight and size and lack of zoom power.


Hence my question, I have been reading that you do not need a circular polarizer for the SX30 and that a linear will work just as well....but is this true? and how do linear polarizers give you the same effects that you can manually achieve with a CPF just by rotating the filter to get desired effect?


Sorry to sound so novice but never used a linear polarizer and it is confusing to me...


Look forward to your advice and help. Cheers




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...