Monday 15 July 2019

color management - Developing for non calibrated devices?


My home monitor (which is not a cheap TN, by the way) is "perfectly" calibrated and the Huey is configured to correct by the ambient light every few minutes. I develop my raws, they look good, and then at the office or on my phone the "perfect" pink face of the girl in one of the pictures is mostly blown out.


Hoping this will not turn into a opinion based question...is there some study around about the average calibration of user devices? Some kind of guide line? I never print my photo, I just share them on Flickr, and it's depressing that they are never the way I intended them!




Answer



If you want your web based image to look good on a variety of calibrated and uncalibrated devices, export the images in sRGB and make sure they look good in sRGB (check the result of the conversion or soft proof).


You can't make the image look accurate on non-calibrated displays, but if somebody is using such display, their brain adapts to it and they perceive the colors as correct.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...