Monday 12 October 2015

weather - What will happen to a camera if it is taken to an environment beyond its operating temperature?


I notice that most camera have operating temperature of 0 degree Celsius to 40 degree Celsius. As for weather-proof camera, they can usually operate at -10 degree Celsius to 40 degree Celsius.


So, I was wondering if the camera can be used in the following temperature:



  1. Above 40 degree Celsius (maybe in a desert or a sauna room)

  2. Below -10 degree Celsius (maybe in Antarctica or heavy snow)


From what I understand, most DSLR are able to withstand -10 degree Celsius. (Do correct me if I am wrong). However, I doubt any camera can withstand far beyond their temperature tolerance but would like to know if any camera experts did take their camera to their extremes.





Also asked by Xeoncross:


I have a canon t3i and I am curious to know just how much heat they can handle. I've seen proof that they can handle short bursts of direct fire, but long-term heat is another matter. I live in Texas and it's not uncommon for +110F temps in the summer.


If I leave that camera in the trunk - will it be ruined? Will the sensor quality go down? I want to take my camera with me everywhere - but if there is no air-conditioned area to keep the camera in I am worried I'll ruin it and be left without a camera.


According to Canon, I should not be using the camera above 104F/40C - but what about the non-working range where I have it sitting somewhere?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...