Monday 26 October 2015

equipment damage - Is it normal for there to be tiny dust particles in a new lens?


I'm the owner of a new Canon 550D with a Canon 18-135mm IS lens.



While looking into the lens, I noticed what I think are two tiny dust particles (I would say smaller than 1mm) behind the first glass of the lens, that can be seen from the front and from the back, but I'm not sure if this can be noticed in the pictures. Given that I've paid some considerable money for this lens, is this something normal I can expect a new lens to have?


Apart from that (I think it might be unrelated) I also see two dots in the view finder. They are not related to this dust and, at least, I'm sure they are not visible in any pictures, but is this also something I can expect?



Answer



While I wouldn't really worry too much about dust in the lens actually affecting image quality, I would say that is still not normal, and I would probably return a brand new lens if it came with any dust inside.


Here is a good example of how bad a lens can get before image quality suffers - Dirty Lens Article


As for the dust you see through the viewfinder, that could actually be in the viewfinder - which I wouldn't worry about, or it could be farther down the lightpath - such as on the actual image sensor. If you just bought a brand new camera and it had dust on the sensor right out of the box, I would guess that it wasn't brand new and someone took it for a test drive or two prior to you purchasing it. I would return for a new camera in that case.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...