Friday 23 October 2015

equipment recommendation - How to choose a gaffer's tape?


After a long time using my flash with rubber bands to hold flash accessories, I decided to try the Gaffer's tape method recommended by many photogs. So, I searched for that on B&H's website and got multiple results. Some of the results explicitly mention no residue and some don't.



In the past I bought a "painter's tape" at Home Depot that supposedly leaves no residue as well, but this feature is limited to 14-days of contact.


So, any particular suggestion for a cheap non-residue gaffer's tape? Something that will tear off a year from now without leftover? I just need ~30cm, so spending $8-$10 on a full roll already seems excessive, so I'm more inclined to the cheap side...



Answer



For my flash I use the wide rubber band with Velcro on it approach to hold stuff in place. Something like this (the same one as used in Gary Fong's WhaleTail flash diffuser).
It works well enough for me, though I haven't used it for anything heavy. Some quick googling did not look promising for you; "Despite the claims they make about gaffer tape it will not stick very well in the cold and if you leave it on too long it will leave residue behind".


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...