Sunday 25 October 2015

file management - What is the right way to delete all photos from a camera?


What is the most correct way to delete all photos from a camera after they all have been copied to a computer:



  • to format memory card using the camera menu,


  • or simply Select All and Delete photo files from the card using a computer as if it would be just a usb flash drive,

  • or maybe some other way?


Or no difference at all?



Answer



There's no "right" way to do this, it's what works best for you. In general, I just tend to do the "delete all" unless the card is quite full, then I may format. It's just a question of speed, I'll tend to use the fastest path to clearing it off.


Now, there are some that recommend regular formatting of the card for various reasons. I'm not in that camp, the basis for it isn't entirely sound. However, the upside is the detection of potential hardware flaws on the device. So, even if it isn't specifically regular, doing it every now and then may have some use.


Either way, I only do it after I've made two successful copies (primary and backup). I've lost images in the past by not being more careful about it, so now I take a little time to be sure.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...