Thursday 29 October 2015

point and shoot - Should I turn off optical image stabilisation when shooting long-exposure photos?


I have a Canon SX210 IS. With CHDK, I usually take photos of more than 10 minutes at night (using tripod of course). I read somewhere it is recommended to turn off the mechanical image stabilization system on point and shoot cameras.


I don't see the point of doing that (because the cameras is still), but I guess there must be something related to unwanted actuations of the IS system.


Do you know something about this? Thanks!


EDIT


Thanks for the responses. I noticed that if I turn off the LCD using the shortcut button, and then I move the camera (so the sensors detect movement), the screen backlight goes back on. I think that shake (not small) could be the minimal motion to activate the IS system. I can also be wrong, but if that is true, there is no need to turn it off.




Answer



There is no point in IS if your camera is mounted on tripod anyway, unless your tripod is placed on moving/vibrating surface. Some cameras even automatically disable IS if they detect being mounted on tripod - as you correctly stated this is to avoid false activations of the system.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...