Tuesday 27 October 2015

Tips on how to get into Photojournalism


I'm interested in pursuing a career in photojournalism but with no photography-based qualifications I'm wondering what I'll need to get into it.


Most places I've read suggest starting out in a local newspaper to build a portfolio to move onto national (if you wanted to) but even for local press what are the entry requirements?


I've about a years photography experience and I live in Scotland, UK.


Any info would be muh appreciated,



Jonesy



Answer



You don't mention whether your goal is to be a staff photographer (paid a regular salary to take photographs by a news outlet of some variety), or a freelance photographer who takes on journalistic assignments. Both routes are difficult, however becoming a staff photographer is the more difficult of the two routes... Even more-so in a recession, and in an industry that's in serious decline...


I had a journalism professor who used to give his ironic/sarcastic 'four step formula for being a photojournalist' which went something like this:



  • Step 1: Get a full time job doing something other than photojournalism.

  • Step 2: Become friends with the publisher of the news source you want to work for and hope they give you a call.

  • Step 3: Spend 30 years doing the job in step 1.

  • Step 4: Retire.



I've watched several of my students try to break into photojournalism over the years with varying degrees of success. In my experience breaking into photojournalism is a little like breaking into the record business... It requires a lot of hustle, a lot of unpaid hard work, some serious networking and schmoozing, a lot of time, and a fair amount of luck.


Disclaimer: I'm in the US, not the UK. I kinda doubt there's a lot of difference, but just in case there is... You've been warned! ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...