Thursday 15 October 2015

lens - Recommended wildlife photography lenses for Nikon DX bodies with no AF motor



I have some SLR experience but have mostly been using a point-and-shoot in the last few years. Now I would like to jump back into the digital SLR world specifically to do wildlife photography (mostly mammals and reptiles, not so much birds). I have settled on the Nikon D5200 for the body but am not sure about the best lens.


I definitely need the vibration reduction.


I'm wondering about the quality of zoom vs. fixed length. Which reduces quality more, zoom lens or teleconverter attached to good shorter lens?


Is 300mm pretty much the minimum for wildlife? I'm entry level and have a limited budget, but I don't want to "waste" money on something I'll quickly outgrow. Specifically, I have been looking at the Nikkor 55-300mm, 55-200mm, or maybe if there is such a thing a fixed 200mm and some kind of teleconverter. Thanks for any advice!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...