Wednesday 10 June 2015

What are your best tips, tricks or formulas for Lightroom's Smart Collections?


I use a few Smart Collections in Lightroom to automatically let me see things like all of my finished HDR images, sets of images uploaded to SmugMug or Flickr, and the like, but I'm curious what other ways folks are using Lightroom's Smart Collections.


Share your best Smart Collections tips/tricks/formulas.



Answer



Here is a screenshot, hopefully you will find some inspiration here. The Meta collection set I expanded is where I put most of my smart collections (the "Smart Collections" inside is the default LR Smart Collections folder I kept around):


alt text


I think they are self-explanatory, but if you have questions, I can give you the parameters used in the collection. Here is a bit more though:




  • Flash: Flash State / is / did fire

  • No Copyright: Copyright Status / is / unknown

  • No Geolocation: GPS Data / is not / GPS Location AND Keywords / doesn't contain / not geolocated

  • Noisiest: ISO Speed Rating / is greater than / 3200.0

  • Panorama: Filename / contains / pano OR Keywords / contains / panorama

  • Widest: Focal Length / is less than or equal to / 16 AND Camera / contains / 5D


As you can see, I rely on file naming and keywords for information that is not directly available in Lightroom. For example, since the aspect ratio is not a filter, I have to either put "pano" in my panorama filename or add the "panorama" keyword so that I can create a smart collection later on.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...