Wednesday 3 June 2015

repair - Is it worth repairing a broken kit lens?


I dropped my camera while on holiday last summer. Thankfully, my camera wasn't damaged but the kit lens has lost the ability to autofocus and the UV filter and 58mm to 52mm filter step-down (I use it to attach a fisheye filter to the lens) I had on its end are stuck and won't come off.


I've replaced the lens with an 18-200 zoom lens so I don't especially need it. I was wondering if it was worth getting the lens looked at and possibly repaired?


I've heard many places will charge you £50 or so just to look at the lens and given the cost of the kit lens I'm not sure it's worth it.



Answer



Probably not - even if the repair were to cost less than the value of the lens it sounds like you're getting on fine without the lens, and are probably ready to move on to a better lens.


The only reason you might repair it is to sell, but without a free estimate you're taking a risk that you will lose money through this.


My advice would be to write it off and put the money towards a more interesting lens, maybe a 50 f/1.8 as you already have a superzoom.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...