Sunday 27 August 2017

night - Can I desaturate incoming light using a filter or series of filters mounted to the lens?



I've got a very difficult shot coming up. I'm photographing moonlight on a country meadow. I do not want to do post work. I need to do everything real time (for reasons too long to get into, there is more going on in the shot that will just complicate the question.)


My only option is to use filters during my shot, to capture the way we perceive moonlight. The camera picks up moonlight as white light. Our eyes, however, perceive it as very desaturated with a slight hint of blue. I've got a blue filter, but the shot just comes out far too blue. I need to desaturate the light coming in to the camera (almost black and white.) Is there any possible way to use lens filters to desaturate light?


I can't shoot in b&w as I'm not only exposing the moonlight, but also a girl with a glowing balloon in the scene. It's all got to be done in one exposure.


Is there any way I can desaturate the light with use of a filter or series of filters?


Thanks a heap guys.


More info: thanks so much everybody, you all are right, but here's why and what I need. I'm having the girl and the balloons to be illuminated with lights and the balloons are going to be different colors and glowing. So she is going to be in full glory color, but she's going to be sitting in dim moonlight. To get the moonlight look, I can desaturate in camera settings and use a filter. But when its time to take the cap off the lens (shutter still open after capturing moonlight) and exposing the girl and balloons, the camera is going to capture her and the balloons in those same desaturated settings. My camera will not change settings in mid exposure, and although I think it can combine two exposures, this is a messier way of getting where I'm trying to go. And post is just about impossible. To capture full color in the image, and then darken and blue and desaturate the rest of the scenery is extremely imperfect.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...