Sunday 13 August 2017

sdcard - What is more intensive for the SDHC card- hd movie recording or shooting burst mode in RAW?


I am looking to get a second SD card to fill both slots in my d7000. The card I have now is a remnant from my canon point and shoot that I am using in my d7000 now.


I have yet to try movie mode. And I have not yet tried to shoot raw images.


The card I have now is a 32 gig class 10 Transcend that has worked well so far. Also, I know some of you have mentioned to avoid them but for the price this seemed like a great value and has worked flawlessly for me for about a year now. And, i would wager not all class 10 cards are created equal. My feeling is some are faster than others even though they carry the same class rating.



I have read many reviews on Amazon of various cards and find the sporadic user who sees HD video pause while recording.


since I will eventually be using HD video recording and plan to try shooting in RAW this weekend at a wedding (not as a hired pro but just as a guest) I wanted to make sure if my current card is not fast enough that I get one that is in time for using it and not having problems when they can hurt me most.


What of the two actions is more taxing on the camera system HD video or RAW in burst mode?


And will my card be able to handle both?



Answer



HD video will be far more taxing than shooting RAW in burst mode. The reason is that the camera has to compress video constantly and write to the card nonstop for the entire time that you are recording video. If it gets behind, there's no break in the action for it to catch up. When you're using burst mode, eventually the camera will ratchet back your fps in order to attempt to catch up.


My question for you is why aren't you testing yourself whether your card is able to handle both? Inside of 10 minutes you should be able to shoot a lengthy HD video clip and several RAW bursts in order to be able to get an idea of what your card is capable of handling reliably.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...