Tuesday 4 April 2017

weather - How do you protect a camera and lens while photographing in rain or snow?


I've been trying to photograph lightning lately, as we have had some great storms in Colorado. I've had some difficulty getting a good vantage point, however, as almost all of these storms include rain as well. To keep my camera from getting drenched (I have weather-sealed lenses, but my camera body, a Canon 450D, is not weather sealed as far as I can tell), I've had to shoot under the eve of a building or under a thick canopy of trees, however that has greatly limited my ability to adapt to the changing weather and get get a vantage point on the best lightning.


Is there any equipment, something I can purchase or something home-made that has easy-to-find parts, that can help me protect my lens from the rain while still being able to shoot? Additionally, I've been getting rain on a UV filter I have on the front of my lenses, simply to prevent rain from getting on the front lens element itself. However, once a storm really gets going, so does the rain. Is there a simple solution to keep rain off the front of the lens?



Answer



There is actually quite a few products designed specifically for this purpose, ranging in prices.


Most of the products are glorified rain ponchos, and as such, if you have the DIY spirit, you can save yourself major bucks.


This is a really good instructional on making one out of rain pants.


If you'd rather buy an OTS solution, then consider the ThinkTank Hydrophobia, or similar products.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...