Monday 17 April 2017

night - Why do I have blurry star trails?


Last weekend I was experimenting with capturing star trails. I tried taking a set of 9 photos of the stars and Milkway (ISO 1600, f/2.8, 30 seconds exposure). Here is resulting combined photo (stacked with StarStax):


blurry star trails image


The resulting image is very blurry. Can anyone tell me what to do differently next time so I get a better shot? My theories are:



  1. I should have avoided the Milkyway, as it is not going to come out crisp in a long exposure shot lasting this long.

  2. Wind may also have been a factor. I have a very cheap tripod, and it was rather windy that night.



Anything else that may attribute to this type of blur?


EDIT:


As requested, here is a single photo from the set:


single shot


Notice that I composed the shot with the Milkyway in it, which I believe is adding to the blurring effect in the final stacked imaged.


Also as requested, here is a 100% crop of the above image:


enter image description here




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...