Wednesday 26 April 2017

nikon - For greater telephoto range, should I use 70-200mm + teleconverter or a longer zoom lens?


Right now, I have a Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-f/5.6 VR lens. I like it, but want more telephoto range and would also like to be able to use faster shutter speeds. I am interested in the 70-200mm f/2.8, but would probably want a 1.4 or 1.7 teleconverter to get my reach. Another possibility is the 70-300m f/4.5-f/5.6, but then I don't get the aperture, though I do save a bunch of money. Are there any other suggestions? I shoot all handheld, and would prefer an image stabilized lens. My camera body is currently a D5000, though I could see myself upgrading, but probably not to full frame any time soon.



Answer




I don't know about nikon, but I did the same thing on the Canon side. I had a junk 70-300 lens, and decided to upgrade. I ended up buying the 70-200L IS, plus the 1.4 teleconverter. You just have to, they're both white :) Since then, I've used the lens itself quite a bit - zoomed all the way out for portraits, zoomed in for some sports and wildlife. I rarely, very rarely, take the teleconverter out of my bag. Why? Not really sure. I lose two stops, so my fastest is f/4. The picture is not quite as sharp. It makes an already heavy and big lens even heavier and bigger. If I had to do it all over again, I think I would just buy the super sharp telephoto with stabilization (70-200), forgo the teleconverter, and use my crap 300mm if I really, really need to reach out.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...