Thursday 27 April 2017

jpeg - Is it possible to do non-destructive JPG color correction?


I would like to perform color correction on my photos before printing so that my workflow will create reproducible prints. (i.e. the lab corrects my photos and I print them again later, they may be different.)


It would be nice if I could adopt a workflow where I can add color correction information to my images with "lossless" modification. For comparison, Xee on Mac (and, I'm sure, others) allows you to rotate and crop photos and the pixels left on the screen maintain the original encoding from the original JPG file. In other words, you can throw out the original.


Is this possible? Is it sufficient to color correct my photos for printing? Do people actually do this? And, is there software that supports this?



Answer



There is one piece of software that I know of that can handle it: BetterJPEG.


I have downloaded the latest trial, and, as it says on its web page can do lossless full-image color and brightness correction. The tools are crude compared to what is available in Photoshop, just a couple color sliders (red/cyan and blue/yellow) and a brightness slider. And while they provide a Photoshop Plugin, it does not appear to include this feature.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...