Sunday 30 April 2017

equipment recommendation - Do I really need a fast 50mm lens?


Everyone I speak to says that a 50mm lens is the best and beats them all as an all-rounder. I was wondering whether to get myself a decent, fast 50mm as well. However I'm still not 100% sure whether I really need such a lens.



I use a Pentax K10D and mainly shoot people (kids, portraits, some street shots). The lens I love and use most is the DA 70mm f/2.4 Limited. I often also use a DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited. They are great little lenses that produce very high quality images but they could be a bit faster.


Is is worth spending 400 quid on a Sigma 50mm f/1.4 in my situation? It seems like a good compromise between the 40mm and 70mm and much faster (in fact, 2 f-stops faster than the DA 70mm f/2.8!). On the other hand would the lens be sufficiently different from my current lenses?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...