Friday 21 April 2017

workflow - Should I add my exported photos to my Lightroom catalog?


After processing my RAW files in Lightroom, I often export JPGs to give to people or to post online. I create these files in a directory structure under an \Export top level directory. I'm trying to decide whether it is good practice to add these files to my Lightroom catalog (or perhaps create a separate catalog just for exported files).



I'm kinda hesitant to add them to my main catalog, as I don't know that I need to ever make changes to them, and I can always recreate them from the original (plus non-destructive mods stored in the Catalog for the RAW files).


On the other hand, it might be handy to have all your output files in a Catalog so they can be searched/sorted quickly and easily.


(A related question might be: should I even keep exported files once they've been delivered/sent/posted?)


I realize there are arguments to be made, and there probably isn't a "correct" answer, so this may be too subjective, but I think the arguments themselves are valid and useful to others. The "correct" answer may be different for each person.



Answer



Personally I would say no , do not import back into Lightroom. As you say - you have the originals. And Lightroom does show you by default the 'latest version', so effectively, what you have exported. Just with the option to go back, edit, change, etc..


What I do is have a Lightroom Exports folder with my exported JPG files. I do not clear this out because it is for me, the consolidation of all my photographic work. A collection of all the stuff I felt 'worthy'. My picks of my pics if you will.


This Exports folder then is set up to sync with my iPhone and iPad, so wherever I go, I have a portfolio of my best images ready to show anyone who is interested.


Keep Lightroom for your RAW files, and exported JPG's elsewhere.


Just my humble opinion mind ;-)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...