Thursday 15 September 2016

What free software exists for geotagging photos?


I do a lot of hikes and bike tours. On these tours I use a GPS device to track the route. I also use my compact camera to take some pictures.


Now I want to use geotagging software to enhance the picture information with the exact location where it was taken.



Can you recommend any free software? I found some good software, but I couldn't find any free.



Answer



I use gpicsync to tag photos with GPS coordinates from my Garmin 60Csx. I just clip the GPS to my belt while I'm shooting. When I get home, I copy the GPX file from the Garmin to my computer and run gpicsyc. It matches the time stamps in the GPS data to the time stamps in the photos and writes the coordinates into the photo metadata.


Gpicsync is open source and supports Windows, Mac and Linux. Under the covers it uses EXIFtool to manipulate the image files, which allows gpicsync to work with numerous image file formats, including many raw camera formats.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...