Friday 2 September 2016

terminology - What is the difference between "color" and "tones"?



I am working through the Teach Yourself Photoshop book. I opened up a NEF file in Adobe Camera Raw.


In the text it says:



By shooting in raw you capture more information about the colors and tones in a scene.




When looking at a histogram it mentions that from left to right you have the tonal range. I always thought that this tonal range represents all the colours in the photo, but the book now differentiates between colors and tones.


So my questions are what are colors and what are tones?


I hope someone can help me with my confusion.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...