Thursday 22 September 2016

color - Pictures of a dark violet flower appear light blue. Is this a lens or a technique problem?


I just got this Tamron AF 70-300mm 4-5,6 Di LD Macro 1:2 for my Canon 500D.


I tested it yesterday and it works fine. Only one problem: I took pictures of a flower which is dark violet. But when I look at the pictures on screen, the color is kind of light blue, which is a big difference. I use a UV filter and the sun block hood, and there was no sun light at that moment. I changed to my Canon 55-250mm, and it didn't have the same problem.


I don't know if this is a technique problem, or an issue with this lens. Does anyone have the same experience?


This is the one I took with Tamron, I resized it: enter image description here


And this one I took with my Galaxy S7: enter image description here



Answer



The flower is supposed to be dark violet, but it's come out light blue.


That indicates the image is overexposed. If the flower is dark, the image of the flower should be a similar tone. So for a start you need to lower the exposure and darken the flower.



The reason for the color change from violet to blue is that the reds in the image are blown (or clipped) (see also Why are red objects coming out unnaturally in my photos?) It is common in photographing red objects that they come out pink or even orange. When you have a purple object, overexpose somewhat and blow out the red channel, but not the blue channel, then you may end up with a light violet or blue.


Look for the reds being at the extreme right of the histogram like this:


enter image description here


and lower the exposure, or use exposure bracketing, until they are not blown.


Edit: now that you've posted examples, it looks like it may simply be the BLUE channel blown a bit.


enter image description here


Again, just try lowering the exposure a bit.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...