Friday 9 September 2016

composition - Does a centered object get attention?


When I showed this photo to my friend he mentioned that the flower in the center of the photo got his attention. Although I placed it in the center of the photo, I believe that it's not the only main object in the photo. I like the leaves in the foreground too, I like the balance between the green color in the foreground and background. But my friend didn't mention anything about it, so I wonder is it wrong to place the flower in the center like that? maybe if I moved it to the right a little bit and include more leaves in the left would create a more balanced photo?


image



Answer



The flower in the centre does attract the eye, but not because it's in the center, in my opinion, but rather because:



  • it's in focus more than anything else

  • it's brighter than anything else

  • it's higher in the frame, above everything else, and contrasting against a dark background



I think the above is fairly factual. When you ask about improving the composition, well that's going to be more subjective. I think you could probably improve the composition, but I don't think there's particularly anything wrong with the flower being centered


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...