Saturday 10 September 2016

low light - How do I achieve fireworks pictures such as the hirobamboo method?



How do I achieve the abstract effect for fireworks that is sometimes referred to as the hirobamboo method? Specifically what types of lenses would work best for this, do I start in focus or out, shutter speed range?


Source:




Answer



I asked this question apparently too soon, because only a day later the photographer himself answered this question on the Colossal blog here: Unusual Long Exposure Firework Photographs by David Johnson


The way that he achieved this is outlined in an email correspondence found in the above link and quoted here:



The technique I used was a simple refocus during the long exposure. Each shot was about a second long, sometimes two. I’d start out of focus, and when I heard the explosion I would quickly refocus, so the little stems on these deep sea creature lookalikes would grow into a fine point. The shapes are quite bizarre, some of them I was pleasantly surprised with.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...