Tuesday 20 September 2016

technique - How can I take pictures of far-away mountains to the South?



I'm trying to take some pictures of a pair of mountains to my south. The distance is about 20 miles away. I'm running into the following problems, and I'm wondering what you guys might suggest to get around some or all of them.



  • If I try to photograph at sunrise/sunset, the mountains are much darker than the sky, and have little contrast within themselves.

  • If I tried a few hours after sunrise, the mountains appear blue, due to the distance and atmosphere.

  • At noon, usually there is no contrast to speak of, not to mention the fact that mountains appear even bluer.

  • I can go closer, but the road isn't quite a straight way, and the mountains just look different from that different perspective.


Here's the best picture from my site I've captured of the mountains so far, but they have snow right now on top of them and I'd really like to get something a bit better.


Mt. Wrightson


Any tips? Thanks guys!




Answer



If you're not using a polarizer, try that first - it will often help to cut through some of the haze.


Heres a link with an example close to what you want even: http://www.dslrtips.com/workshops/How_to_use_polarizing_filters/reduce_haze_deep_blue_sky.shtml


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...