Tuesday 27 September 2016

learning - Should I buy a new DSLR or spend the money on a photography course with my point & shoot?



I'm about to go to a family trip to Thailand, and I have a point & shoot camera (Canon PowerShot a2400) , and a budget for the photography.


I have 2 options that within my budget:




  1. Sign up for photography course and use the PowerShot on my trip.





  2. Buy a basic DSLR camera, with no professional experience. (I took a lot of photos, but I have no idea how to take advantage of the shots like iso etc.)




From your experience - what you suggest I do?


My main goal (right now) is to get the most out of this family trip photos.



Answer



They say that it's not the camera that makes the pictures, but the photographer.


Improving your (poor) skills will give you a much better return-on-investment, ie. much more satisfaction with the photographic results of your trip, than a better camera.



Once you know a bit about composition etc., you'll notice the limits imposed on you by your current hardware and may wish to upgrade. Then you'll benefit from the enhanced capabilities of a DSLR. (see also: @michael-clark 's answer to When should I upgrade my camera body? about how to choose equipment)


But a good photographer with a poor camera is better than a bad photographer with top gear. (see also: "Pro Photographer, Cheap Camera Challenge" on youtube)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...