Wednesday 17 January 2018

What is the typical DSLR battery lifespan (overall, not per charge cycle)?


I shoot a Nikon D800, but this question applies to any DSLR. (I suspect DSLRs are harder on batteries than more compact cameras, so let's stick to this camera family.)


I recently had one of my camera batteries fail. The weird thing is that the battery was about a year newer than the one that's still fine. (I put a label with the date acquired on them, so I can keep them straight.) The deceased battery was about four years old; the good one is five.


I've picked up two more batteries just to be sure (I don't know how much longer the old one will continue working well) but what sort of lifespan is to be expected? I realize it will vary by usage and depth of discharge, and my batteries tend to be gently used and not deeply discharged before recharging. I have a fairly busy life so most of my photography tends to be while traveling, and then I will do it intensely for a few days or couple of weeks before the camera gets a good rest again.


What have your experiences been, and what should I be expecting?





No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...