Wednesday 10 January 2018

legal - Do I need a written model release to enter a street portrait in a competition?



I've taken a street portrait photo (here) that I'd like to enter in a competition (the Sony World Photo Awards). I asked the man in the shop if I could take his photo, and he was more than happy for me to do so. I never asked him to sign any model-release document as it has very much an "off the moment" photo.


The rules of the competition state:



You confirm that each person depicted in the Entry has granted permission to be portrayed as shown.



and also says that:



[does not] violate any person’s rights of privacy or publicity



With this in mind, would it be valid to enter the photo? I'm sure I've been to exhibitions before which include a lot of impromptu portraits and street photography where I'd imagine that the photographer didn't go running after the subject with legal documents, but I could be wrong...!



(if it helps, I'm based in the UK)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...