Wednesday 3 January 2018

terminology - What is it called when aperture and exposure are previewed on the LCD screen before the shot is taken?



I have a Canon PowerShot SX120 IS. I would like to get a better comparable camera, but the singular feature I love the most about this camera is when in Manual mode, I scroll through shutter speed settings (like 15" - 1/2500) and the aperture (2.8 - 8.0).


When scrolling through these settings, the screen on the camera will relay the changes in real time.


Example: If I am indoors and want the shot to be brighter and less blurry I not only turn up the white balance, but can reduce aperture and speed up shutter speed. Each change shows on the LCD screen so I can dial it in before taking the photo. This allows me to get one perfect shot, instead of several shots at different settings an choose the best on. It is most effective for night time shots since I can see exactly what my picture of the moon will look like etc..


The question is this: What is this feature called? I want to get another newer camera, but I have no idea what to call this feature so I can find it.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...