Wednesday 24 January 2018

astrophotography - Why is my nighttime sky image so poor (few stars and a yellow glow)?


I am new to astrophotography and I take most of my pictures at around 11pm, which is reasonably dark. The only lights which are on near me are street lights and they are behind trees.


I am struggling to take pictures though, and my final pictures seem to be full of noise, maybe 40 stars maximum. On top of that, there seems to be streaks of yellow and other colours going across the image if you look closely.


Another problem is that the bottom of my pictures seems to glow, almost as if there was a candle sitting on the floor radiating light into the picture. I don't know why my camera comes out with such bad pictures and can't pick up many stars.


My camera is a Canon Powershot G1X. I take my pictures at 2 seconds shutter speed (longer than 10 seconds, the picture becomes white), and I use ISO 12800 (I use this so my camera actually picks up stars. At 1600, it picks up fewer stars than my eyes.) and f/2.8.


https://imgur.com/AAlftJn




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...