Saturday 6 January 2018

technique - How to capture details of the moon?


I just purchased a D5100 and I am slowly learning the basics. I mostly shoot landscape/scenery shots.


I have been trying to capture the full moon unsuccessfully. It looks focused in the viewfinder and I've experimented with slow shutter speeds and large apertures but the resulting image always comes out as a bright glare. I'm never able to see the details of the moon.


How can I improve my shots?



Answer



I have a D5100 as well and was out taking pictures of the moon last night as well :-) These are the steps I took:





  1. put your camera in manual mode




  2. focus and zoom your camera on the moon




  3. take a test-shot with a baseline configuration (ISO 200, F/8, 1/125s as per Olin's suggestion)




  4. observe the results and adjust accordingly: make the shutter speed shorter if the moon is too bright, make it longer if it is too dark.





It is also worth noting that the built-in light meter is pretty much useless in this situation. Even with spot metering it didn't work for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...