Monday 9 November 2015

studio lighting - Product Photography: White object on white background producing white halo


I'm very new to product photography and would like any newbie advice to the following problem:


I have a basic light setup with 4 florescent lights with umbrellas with a white muslin cloth backdrop. In the past this setup has worked great for products (toys, sports gear etc). I'm now attempting to photograph a white canister with a black label. The edges of the black label have a white halo that is where I'm struggling:


Imgur


I have access to both a green and black backdrops. I'm using a Nikon D5000 with the standard kit lens AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5 - 5.6G. I'm shooting in Manual mode with: ISO: 200 F-stop: F/29 Focal Length: 26mm Exposure time: 1 sec Using a standard tripod with a remote control. Shooting in RAW format.


I've tried various setting with no luck.


Any advice would be great! Thanks!


PS: Here's the light setup which I'm sure could use some help!


Imgur




Answer



A good reference for lighting is Light Science and Magic, I think you would find it highly informative. In this image the sides of the canister are getting blown out where you would actually like them to be a little darker so that there's a strong figure/ground differentiation. Try some black flags, just out of the cameras frame on either side of the canister. The flags will keep some of the light from hitting the edges but they will also reflect in the surface, making for a darker edge.


Also, many libraries have the title I mentioned, save yourself some money!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...