Wednesday 11 November 2015

color - Why do my images look different on my camera than when imported to my laptop?


I have been taking some photos with my new camera, and have found that once I import them to my laptop, the colors look washed out, and not as nice and vivid as on the camera LCD display.


It's a Sony HX60, and I am importing them into an HP dm4, running Fedora.


I've read about color profiles, and made sure that the calibration on my monitor was set.


The thing is that the issue arises with just importing them from the camera iteself (using Shotwell) and diplaying them with the standard Image Viewer, it's not even an issue with Gimp or an image editor with a color profile not set.


I am wondering if my camera is using some of color profile that is being lost when imported, or is it that the display on my camera is much better than the one my laptop?


I can then open the image in Gimp, and then use some enhancements to make the image look better, but I just want them to look the same as on my camera.



Any ideas?


Update:


Here is an example image I took: Original camera image scaled for upload


And here is a photo of the comparison of how the Sony HX60 & the HP dm4 render the output. This photo was taken with a cheap Lumix, but still clearly shows the difference:


enter image description here



Answer



Differing display devices will show you the same image differently, because different manufacturers set them the way they think the color should be. If you take those same photos and view them on an iPad or iPhone you will the the vivid colours are back. Best is to edit the images so that they are punchy enough for displays that do not accent the saturation, while keeping it balanced, to not make the images too saturated for displays that accent saturation, such as displays that have a polariser filmstrip.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...