Sunday 22 November 2015

canon - Do different "Picture styles" affect RAW output?


I was reading again the manual of my camera (Canon 50D, but I am sure that each DSLR offer the same kind of functionality, albeit I don't know the exact names adopted) and noticed the issue of Picture styles which I had overlooked in my first reading.


In short I think that they are a collection of various calibration settings (more or less enhanced colours, things like that...). Those that are available on my camera are:



  • Standard

  • Portrait


  • Landscape

  • Neutral

  • Faithful

  • Monochrome

  • 3 user definable modes.


These styles are so important to deserve a direct button just under the LCD screen of the camera (I guess this is useful for simplifying the use of the camera in the basic modes as opposed to manual / less automated ones).


And now for the question:



  • These settings obviously affect the appearance of the picture "as it comes out of the camera". But given the raw file I assume that they are all equivalent, a style is not applying a destructive transformation to the raw data, isn't it?


  • Shooting raw, is there a reason to favor one of these styles (Neutral?) over the other? Up to now I have been using Standard.


As a bonus (don't know if it deserves a separate question, in which case I will ask it again), what is the difference between Neutral and Faithful?



Answer



Styles are indeed an information layer on top of the RAW image data. As you wrote, setting a style is a non destructive operation when you shoot RAW, and the RAW processor (DPP, for example) lets you change styles while developing the image.


If there is a reason to select a style, it is to take out yet another step in the development process. If you know beforehand what style you prefer, setting it on shoot-time will save you changing it in post (same logic applies to the other settable presets, like white balance, etc.).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...