Monday 23 November 2015

How can I use a vintage M42 manual prime on an entry Nikon DSLR?


I have got an old lens Helios 44-2 (58mm f/2 M42 mount) that I want to use for portraits on my Nikon D3100. I used an adapter (without optical element) to mount the lens. I want to really try this before going for more expensive non-cpu prime lenses.


In manual mode I can not select the aperture but only shutter speed and exposure. Moreover there is no option to specify non-cpu lens parameters.


The images turn out to be darker even at f/2 and out of focus.


I have read posts on using live view for focusing and tried that. It improves the focus a bit but not the brightness. Can someone suggest a well documented procedure for improving brightness and focus?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...