Tuesday 24 November 2015

Are there any known issues with using filter step-up rings?


My 3 lenses all have a different size thread. (77, 67 and 58mm) I am to purchase a good CP filter for the 77 and 67 thread. I don't have any filters for the 58mm thread lens but I was thinking about perhaps getting a step-up ring and use my 77mm filters on the 58mm lens.


Are there any known issues with using filter step-up rings? I am thinking maybe even getting only one good 77mm CP filter and use with with all my lenses with a pair of step-up rings.


Any thoughts?



Answer



The only thing you have to be mindful of is with wide angle lenses. You just want to make sure that with the step up ring and filter attached that you don't see the filter edge in the field of view. Slim filters can help with that. Otherwise it's just fine. I do the same myself with 77mm filters.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...