Saturday 14 October 2017

dslr - Are refurbished digital SLR cameras okay to buy (and worth the small savings)?


I ran across a few refurbished cameras (from reputable sites) and my question is this:


Are refurbished cameras normally okay to buy? (Note: I am referring to DSLR cameras that are body plus one 18-55mm OEM Lens) I ask because there are some items that 90% of the time I will not buy refurbished. But I have no clue when it comes to cameras, and if this is a safe way to start, or if it is worth the extra 100-150 I would save to buy brand new.


One other note: I am not a professional and looking to get into the world of DSLRs with a basic entry to gain knowledge and experience using a DSLR, and of course save some money.




Answer



I bought my Canon XSi/450D refurbished from B&H about 3 years ago, and was very happy with it. I did eventually notice a bright red pixel on all of my pictures (although typically only visible in night shots). I don't blame B&H or the refurbished state of the camera for this; just the fact that pixels some times die.


When I replaced it about 4 months ago, I had settled on a T3i/600D, and I would gladly have gone with a refurbished unit again, but there weren't any available at the time from B&H. (I think I saw some refurbs on Amazon, but the price was almost the same as new.)


I think the main thing to consider when buying refurbished is the warranty it comes with. Not so much because you'll expect to use the warranty, but because how long and extensive the warranty is says a lot about how much the vendor believes in their refurbished equipment. If they only offer a 7-day warranty, they probably don't test their refurbished equipment sufficiently to stand behind it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...