Saturday 21 October 2017

Projects to do if you have an additional camera



So I bought my 7D a while ago meaning my older 30D gets very little use and it could definitely have a better life. I would like to find some projects that would put this extra camera back to work. I'm open other suggestions but I've primarily thought of projects in these two directions:


A project that requires two cameras
I can't really think of anything here. Maybe something along the line of capturing a moment with both cameras, at different angles/focus/etc, at the same time.


A project that modifies the additional camera
I would be open to suggestions such as Magic Lanter, CHDK and such things but I assume the 30D may be a bit dated for such mods, as I haven't found any that support the 30D. I'm also open to suggestions such as infra-red modifications


And of course "just keep it as a backup" is a perfectly valid answer.


I am looking for answers more precisely for the 30D but to keep the information as useful as possible, feel free to give more general answers.



Answer



Things to do with two or more cameras:





  • 3D Photography: You can setup both cameras with remote triggers with them mounted using a tripod accessory that holds both cameras. Then you can take photo simultaneously from two points (you would have to scale down the one from the 7D) and merge them together into a 3D image.




  • Time-Lapse are great to do with a second camera because it keeps you camera busy for a long time. Actually, if you do not mind have both cameras busy, feel free to do a 3D timelapse!




  • A DSLR can be modified for infrared photography. This is a costly modification and renders is not easily reversible. So most people do it with a second camera.





  • Create How-To Photography tutorials :)




  • Stop-Motion videos can be done with one camera but with two you can make a stop-motion video and a making-of-stop-motion stop-motion video. OK, I'm running out of ideas!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...