Monday 30 October 2017

darkroom - Enlarging - how to increase exposure time without closing the aperture too much?


When enlarging, let's say the sharpest f-stop on your 135mm lens is f8, but at that aperture you need to expose for such a short period of time, say <1sec, that dodging and burning become impossible. How can you use the sharpest aperture of your enlarging lens (i.e. not stop down to f22 or f32) with a bright image like that?


I am using an Omega D2 that I bought used for printing 4x5 enlargements.



Answer



When I had this problem a while back I solved it by installing a weaker lamp into my enlarger - 75W instead of 150W it came with. I am not sure if it is an option with Omega D2, but it surely is less hassle than ND filters.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...