Tuesday 17 October 2017

software - How do I get started with RAW photography?


Having read about the benefits of shooting in RAW as opposed to JPEG (for example this question), I'd like to have a go with it myself. However, I'm not really sure how to go about it.


I can turn RAW mode on in my camera (that's easy!), but what do I do with the files when I get them on to my computer? I presume I need to process them to get the RAW data into something that I can work with, but do I need a specific tool for my camera (a Finepix S5100), or will something like the GIMP do what I want? I'm also a little confused about how I then take advantage of the abilities that RAW gives me when I'm processing it on the computer — do RAW processing tools have more processing options than standard tools?



Answer



To get started, set up a few shots from a tripod and shoot them in both JPEG and RAW. Most DSLRs can do that simultaneously but I suspect your camera may not have that option because its writing pipeline is slow (it would otherwise lockup your camera for 20-45s IIRC).


Then load the RAW into any conversion software and see if you can produce an image which YOU prefer to the in-camera JPEG. Play with the conversion controls: sharpness, saturation, contrast, curve, etc. Don't go with the default conversion unless you want to waste your time because that will almost always produce the same JPEG as the camera (some advanced programs will let you define your own conversion though which is usually called a preset).


REMEBER: The RAW advantage is about what YOU can do with the image. Most mediums cannot even show all the nuances in a JPEG (nearly no LCD monitor can), so it is more about having control on the final image than about showing one with more color tones.



After a few rounds, you'll be able to judge if it is for you or not. There will be a cost in terms of space, speed and workflow. Particularly since you do not have a DSLR, every time you shoot a RAW image, it will be a while before you can shoot again. Then you have to realize that if you don't take the time to make the output better than what the camera does, you're not getting much out of RAW. If you do, realize that you could have been shooting more instead. Ask yourself what you prefer and what is worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...