Friday 28 July 2017

Will a lens with a low aperture value give me better portrait photos?


I want to take pictures of people from 5-20 feet away. I attend lots of group events and am free to walk around and snap photos.


I just purchased a Canon t3i and it comes with a 18-55mm kit lens. The aperture can go down to f/3.5 at the largest. However, I have a friend with a Canon 5D with 50mm f/1.8 lens and I noticed that his photos always come out nice when shooting up close. The background is always blurred.


I find that I get the shallowest depth of field when I zoom in (even if the aperture goes up), which is a problem. I don't want to have to back up from the subject to get a nice photo. If I really try, I can sometimes get the subject with a blurred background if I move in close (3ft) with a f/3.5.


So do I just need to learn how to use this lens, or would a getting a 50mm f/1.8 lens really help with taking pictures of people?



Answer



Yes, a lens with a larger aperture (numerically smaller f/number) will produce a shallower depth-of-field, and a more blurred background. However, there's another factor working in the 5D's favor: It has a "full frame" sensor, the same size as 35mm film, while your camera has a smaller "APS-C" sensor. The larger sensor results in a shallower depth of field, for the same composition and aperture setting. See Matt Grum's comparison in this thread. So the 50/1.8 will be an improvement, but may not reach what you're seeing from your friend's 5D.


Also, you said you don't like zooming in with your 18-55 lens, because you prefer to work closer. Keep in mind that a 50mm lens will be similar to the long end of your zoom, so it may not mesh with your preferences.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...