Tuesday 4 July 2017

magnification - How can I estimate the reproduction ratio of an unknown macro setup?


If I have a macro setup consisting of more than a normal 1:1 lens (tubes, reversal, or anything else), how can I measure the reproduction ratio (2:1, 1:1, 1:2, 3:1, etc.)?


What process can I follow to accurately gauge it?



Answer



After a little research online, I have found two corroborating pieces of info.


Firstly:



The shorter the focal length of the lens used, the more magnification results. A 50mm reversed will give about life-size reproduction, while a 20mm gives 3X or 4X.



http://www.cameraontheroad.com/2000/07/closeup-photography-ways-to-get-close/



Secondly:



the most accurate way is to reverse mount the lens in question and take a photo of a ruler with millimeter markings. Then, for Nikon DX, divide 23.6 by the number of millimeters that fit, horizontally, within the frame.



http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1034&message=35927198&changemode=1


It so happens that I have a reversing ring, a 50mm lens and a Nikon DX format camera, so I grabbed a ruler and lined up a shot. Sure enough, I measured approximately 23mm on the ruler, confirming a 1:1 ratio. Switching to my 18-55mm @ approximately 20mm, I measured 6mm on the ruler: 23.6/6 = 3.933, so pretty much 4:1.


So it would appear that the method suggested in the DPReview forum answer is correct.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...