Thursday 27 July 2017

software - How can I losslessly extract 2D image from a stereoscopic JPEG?


I have some JPEGs captured from a Nintendo 3DS via Miiverse and would like to optimise them for the web.


The images are 2D but stored as a stereoscopic JPEG, so each file ends up containing the same image twice. In order to halve the amount of storage I require, it would be good to remove the second image. If I import one of the files into GIMP, I can see that exporting it with its original quality settings results in about half the file size. The only issue with this process (I'd automate it and use ImageMagick) is that surely it will result in picture quality degradation. So are there any ways of achieving lossless 2D image extraction? Linux-compatible only.


Although converting to PNG does reduce the size and would be lossless, it doesn't halve it. PNG8 isn't an option either as I require more than 256 colours. By the way, I'll also want to remove EXIF data but that can be done easily with exiv2.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...