Saturday 1 July 2017

troubleshooting - Err 80 appears when I turn on my Canon EOS 5D Mark II


Recently when on holiday in Italy my 5DII stopped powering up. Turn the switch on and - nada. Pulling the battery and popping it back in brings the camera to life, however as soon as the camera goes in to sleep mode, or I turn the power off, the problem returns. Sometimes the camera shows Error 80 at this point:




Err 80


Shooting is not possible due to an error.
Turn the camera off and on again or re-install the battery.



I've seen various posts on the interwebs about pulling the clock battery and leaving the camera for a while - have tried this and also replaced the clock battery to no avail.


Has anyone else had this problem - did the body have to go back to Canon for repair or did you manage to fix it?



Answer



I've just got my camera back from repair and this was apparently caused by water damage to the DC-DC board, an expensive repair but I hope that my camera will now work well for some time to come! I've not yet worked out how the water got in - but I'm suspecting a damp camera bag after a seaside shoot.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...